Amazon Web Services (AWS)
What are Amazon Web Services?
Many companies have used Amazon Web Services to build web infrastructures and platforms in the cloud. Using Amazon Web Services you can have access to compute power, database, storage and other web services that fit according to your business IT infrastructure needs.
Benefits of Amazon Web Services – The pay-as-you-use system offers the flexibility of payment without committing to any long term contracts. This makes the AWS a cost-effective method to develop and deliver your web-based applications to clients and customers. In addition, you can use the retail environment of Amazon.com to distribute your computing applications to the world. For instance, a retail company can harness the power of AWS to create and deploy large scale product applications to its workforce worldwide. Amazon Web Services offers you the flexibility to choose any programming model or platform for development that can easily solve your IT problems. You do not always have to start from scratch to build your applications. With AWS, you can incorporate different tools and applications to make one unique application.
Products/Services offered by AWS
One of the services offered by AWS is compute. Under this service three products are offered:
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) – This AWS product provides scalable compute capacity in the cloud environment. It is a web service that allows you to resize your applications to cloud’s compute capacity making it easier to design web-scale compute applications. It offers you the complete control over the computing resources that runs on the already-proven Amazon’s computing environment.
- Amazon Elastic Map Reduce – It is a web service that allows data analysts, researchers and businesses to process huge data amounts easily, quickly and in a cost-effective manner. It uses a Hadoop framework to run the product. With it, developers can utilize little capacity to perform high data-intensive tasks for data mining, data warehousing, web indexing, log file analysis, machine learning and much more.
- Auto Scaling – Another product of compute is auto scaling. It allows scaling Amazon EC2 capacity automatically according to your defined conditions. With this tool you can easily ensure that the Amazon EC2 instances that you are running increases and decreases during high and low demand to reduce your costs. It is best used for applications that are based on hourly, daily and weekly usage.
CDN – CDN offers a tool called Amazon Cloud Front for delivery of content. It integrates with different AWS applications to help you distribute your content easily to the end users without any commitments, high speed data transfer and low latency.
- Amazon Simple DB – It is a data store that offers high flexibility and scalability that is required to offload the database administration work. All you have to do is store and query the data items through AWS requests and Amazon SimpleDB takes care of the rest. You can concentrate on developing the application without having to think about infrastructure provisioning, schema, software maintenance and tuning.
- Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) – Amazon RDS is a web service that allows you to set up, run and scale a relational database in the cloud environment. It is similar to MySQL and Oracle, therefore requires little or no training. As with all AWS, you are required to pay only for the time you have used this service.
- Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS) – SQS is a reliable hosted queue for message storage when they are travelling between computers. A developer can move data within distributed application components easily with SQS. There is no danger of losing any message as it works in an automated manner. It works in conjunction to Amazon EC2 and other AWS services.
- Amazon Simple Notification Service (SNS) – With Amazon SNS web service, you can send, run and develop notification from the cloud. It can publish messages from a specific application and deliver it to other applications in a cost-effective manner. You can create notification topics, publish messages and deliver them simply with a push mechanism. It is mostly used for workflow systems, mobile applications, monitoring applications and much more.
- Amazon Simple Email Service (SES) – This is a bulk transactional email service for developers and businesses that require complex and expensive in-house email solutions. SES eliminates this requirement.
- Amazon Route 53 – This is a DNS service used to provide businesses with an effective solution to route end users with Internet applications through translating human readable language into IP addresses.
- Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) – Amazon VPC is a private, isolated section of AWS cloud that you can use to create a virtual network. You have complete control over the virtual network components including IP address, subnets, route tables and gateways. In addition, a Hardware VPN can also be created as a connection between your Amazon VPC and business data center.
- Elastic Load Balancing – As the name suggests, this service can distribute the application traffic automatically across different Amazon EC2 instances. This enables fault tolerance in the applications through balancing the web load.
The product offered for monitoring purpose is Amazon Cloud Watch. This service provides AWS cloud monitoring for applications and resources that customers use on the service. This is a useful tool for system administrators and developers to gain insight tracking and collecting metric and respond immediately to keep their business applications operating smoothly. It is a reliable, flexible and scalable monitoring tool that you can use within minutes as it does not require set up or management and configuration to your personal systems.
The storage feature of AWS offers three services:
- Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) – The Amazon S3 is an Internet storage solution designed to make web computing easier and faster for developers like you. It provides an easy web interface that you can use store and retrieve data of any amount at time and from anywhere in the world.
- Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS) – The Amazon EBS offers block level storage if you are using Amazon EC2 instances. These are off-instance storage solutions that operate independently from other instances. The EBS offers high storage volumes that are highly reliable and secure for applications that operate on file systems or databases and need access to raw block storage level.
- AWS Import/Export – This service of AWS speeds up the transfer of large data amounts in and out of AWS. It uses portable storage devices where your data is directly transferred into it using the high-speed internal Amazon network without using the Internet. Import/Export feature is considered much faster than transfer over the Internet as well as more cost effective.